over 3 years ago
Hello and welcome to the Bluemixathon: Operation Rescue and Recovery!
We’re so excited that you’ve decided to take on this challenge and we’ve got a bunch of resources to help you start working with Bluemix on your disaster recovery app. But before we get to that - let’s get you set up with an extended Bluemix trial account.
Setting up your Bluemix account
Typically, Bluemix is available for free for 30 days. However, when you sign up as a participant in the Bluemixathon, you’ll have access to Bluemix services for the entire duration of the contest, from now until December 10, 2015. Now let’s get you signed up in 3 simple steps:
- Click the “Register” button on the competition homepage.
- You’ll then get an email containing the unique URL needed to sign up for a Bluemix trial. If you do not use this URL, you will not get access to the extended trial - so use it! (If you don’t see this email – check your spam folder.)
- Use the unique Bluemix URL to go through the Bluemix sign up flow. You will then receive an activation email from IBM. You must click on the activation link in that email to begin your extended trial.
You can verify that your trial was extended by checking the "Trial Countdown" area found in the upper right corner of the Bluemix Dashboard. It should be counting the number of days down to December 10, 2015. If after a week, you do not see your countdown showing the correct number of days, go to the dW Answers forum and ask a question. The tag "Bluemixathon" is prefilled for you in the form if you use this link. Add any other tags that are relevant to your question.
Note: If you receive any emails from Bluemix referencing a 30-day trial, you can ignore them.
Okay, now what?
Once you’ve got your Bluemix account set up, get cracking on your app idea! To get started:
- Take a look at the submission categories and inspiration videos
- Learn a little about the disaster response cycle
- And don’t forget to check out the competition resources for links to relevant disaster APIs and data, as well as Bluemix tutorials!